[comradio-l] Hansard Written Answers & Statements 25/11/13 - Digital Broadcasting: Radio Culture Media and Sport

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Nov 26 11:30:52 GMT 2013

++ Greg Knight (East Yorkshire, Conservative)

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what support her
Department is intending to give to small local radio stations in connection
with the introduction of digital broadcasting.

++ Edward Vaizey (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Culture,
Communications and Creative Industries), Business, Innovation and Skills;
Wantage, Conservative)

Government recognises the importance of local commercial radio stations to
the communities they serve and is committed to reserving part of the FM
spectrum as a platform for local and community radio stations, for as long
as it is needed. My officials are also working with Ofcom to consider the
potential options for smaller local stations to migrate to digital in the
lead up to and after a future switchover. We are very encouraged by the
recent research Ofcom has carried out on software enabling low cost low
power DAB transmissions, which has been successfully trialled in Brighton.

Hansard Source:
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmhansrd/cm131125/text/131125w0006.htm#131125w0006.htm_wqn25

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation