[comradio-l] Fwd: FW: Community radio news: Volunteer wins BEFFTA 2013 Radio Personality of the Year!

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Nov 20 13:14:47 GMT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vibrant Vibes radio show <vibrantvibes at unity101.org>

[image: IMG_1564.JPG.jpeg]*Community radio presenter wins top radio award*

*A radio presenter at Southampton’s award-winning* Unity 101 Community
Radio, is celebrating being crowned the national 2013 Radio Personality of
the Year1 by the UK BEFFTA Awards – dubbed the ‘Black BAFTAs’ – which
recognises outstanding talents in Black Entertainment Film Fashion
Television & Arts. *

Veronica Gordon, from Southampton, has been presenting the ‘Vibrant Vibes
radio show’ on Unity 101 Community Radio for almost 7 years bringing
vibrant music –afrobeats, calypso and reggae –and vibrant chat, community
news and events, to Southampton’s airwaves. After successfully surviving
the BEFFTA Award’s strict short-listing process, Veronica placed as a
nominee, and the Award winners were selected by public vote. Veronica
received overwhelming support from local people – with scores of
Southampton residents backing her to win – and even had a celebrity
supporter, her favourite actor Jimmy Akingbola4, the actor best known for
playing the confident Dr Malick in BBC One’s Holby City.

The lavish award ceremony took place in London at the weekend and Veronica
attended with some of her excited supporters3 4 travelling from
Southampton, walking the red carpet and waiting in anticipation for the
results. Not expecting to bring the Award back to Southampton, *Veronica *
said*:* “I’m still in shock that I won! Some of the other nominees in the
category were very popular radio presenters from London, with bigger
followings than me so I never thought I’d beat them! When they announced my
name as the winner, everything just went blur! I could hear my family and
friends cheering and they swept me up into their arms – which was a good
thing as my legs would’ve given way! I keep kicking myself now though as I
didn’t have a winner’s speech prepared as I wasn’t expecting to win, so I
just thanked everyone and proudly mentioned that I’m from Southampton. My
award was announced by one of my radio inspirations & previous BEFFTA Award
winner, DJ Abrantee from Global Radio’s newest hit station Capital Xtra!
Everything was so surreal.”

Other BEFFTA UK winners on the night included soul sensation Beverley
Knight [Best Female Act], Wiley [Best Male Act], D’Banj [Best Music Video:
‘Oliver Twist’], Fuse ODG from the hit ‘Antenna’ [Best UK Afrobeats Act],

*Ram Kalyan "Kelly",  Station Manager, Unity 101 Community
Radio:*"Veronica deserved this award having served Unity 101 for the
past 10
years, 7 of which as the presenter of the Vibrant Vibes radio show.  She
works hard on the show alongside her co-presenter Keesha Edwards and every
other Saturday from 6pm to 8pm broadcast a professional and fun  show
enjoyed by many from all communities. A big well done to Veronica – it's
got to be party time now!”

\\

https://twitter.com/community_media
https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation