[comradio-l] Fwd: BCB106.6fm working in partnership with BCB Radio Leeds

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Oct 25 15:11:24 BST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: mary dowson <mary.dowson at bcbradio.co.uk>

*BCB106.6fm working in partnership with BCB Radio Leeds*

* *

Over the last three months BCB106.6fm in **Bradford** has been working in
partnership with BBC Radio Leeds. (This has been a long time in the making
as it’s probably 5 years since I did the week long ‘job-swap’ with Radio
Leeds Managing Editor at the time, John Ryan!). It took a long time and a
lot of to-ing and fro-ing to work out what a partnership would look like,
and crucially what each side wanted to get out of it. We finally arrived at
an agreement that we have put into action over the summer.  The project has
included some excellent training sessions for BCB volunteers and staff,
focusing particularly on creative radio production and speech based
programming.  ****

** **

The culmination of this stage of the partnership has been the production of
4 x 2 hour radio programmes called *‘This is Bradford – BCB on the BBC’*.
The programmes have been presented live from the BBC studios at the ****
National** **Media** **Museum****, 3 - 5pm on Sunday afternoons and
broadcast simultaneously on BCB106.6FM and BBC Radio Leeds. The final
programme was broadcast on Sunday 23rd October.****

** **

This has been a really interesting partnership project, with a lot of
learning on all sides. It has definitely led to us creating a higher
standard of features and packages, and encouraged our volunteers to be more
adventurous in their programmes, focusing as much on production as
presentation.  The challenge of course will be for us to maintain this, with
the very real time constraints that we all have in Community Radio - but all
in all a very interesting and positive experience. We have yet to fully
discuss what the ongoing partnership will look like but watch this space. **
**

** **

*Mary Dowson*

*--