[comradio-l] Westminster Hall debate 23 Nov 2011: Public Service Broadcasting (North-East)

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Nov 24 12:34:53 GMT 2011

Chi Onwurah MP (Newcastle upon Tyne Central, Labour):

> I simply want to assure the Minister that no trap was intended
> when I invited him to endorse the important principles behind
> the purposes and characteristics of public service broadcasting.
> They are incredibly important at a time when the BBC’s actions
> would seem to undermine them.

Edward Vaizey MP (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (DCMS),
Business, Innovation and Skills; Wantage, Conservative):

> One issue we have not covered, and which I often mention—this
> was an achievement of the previous Government, and I am happy to
> credit them with it—is the explosion in community radio, which
> was brought about by the Communications Act 2003. There are now
> more than 200 local community radio stations across the country,
> and I am sure many are also thriving in the north-east.

Hansard source (Citation: HC Deb, 23 November 2011, c102WH):
http://bit.ly/v109cr

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation