[comradio-l] Digital switchover needs greater clarity

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Mon Mar 29 13:03:11 BST 2010

Hype or not, the article seemed pretty well accurate. It said clearly that the Lords said that FM would become 'local and community only' which *is* the current plan. The Digital Economy bill also provides for it to happen on a region-by-region basis. So the plan is that for BBC and larger commercial stations there *will be* an FM switch off progressively throughout the UK.

I guess this underlines the Lords' point - that there is still a lot of confusion over all this!

I think DAB expansion is about to create a lot of annoyance in our region - the BBC is extending DAB coverage up the north-west coast and Western Isles, but because it is sticking to DAB, rather than DAB+, there will be no spacefor two of the national channels currently carried across the north on FM, BBC Radio Scotland and BBC Radio nan Gaidheal - the very two most likely to be wanted locally.

North-west scotland woudl have made an excellent region to start the inevitable introduction of DAB+ - there is no installed base of old DAB-only sets here, but there are 6 BBC national channels and 6 community-based ILRs.

We also have digitial TV switchover coming in 3 months with a similar defficiency. Because of poor strategic design of the network it won't be able to carry one of the channels that would be most popular here - BBC Alba (yet there will be room for BBC Parliament, several '+1' channels and two 'adult' channels among others).

Alex
Two Lochs Radio