[comradio-l] Radio: Digital Broadcasting, Culture Media and Sport, Written answers and statements, 6 July 2010

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Jul 7 12:46:33 BST 2010

Andrew Percy (Brigg and Goole, Conservative)

"To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport
if he will delay or abolish the proposed switch off of FM analogue
broadcasting in light of its effect on poorer households".

Edward Vaizey (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Culture,
Communications and Creative Industries), Business, Innovation and
Skills; Wantage, Conservative)

Holding answer 5 July 2010

"Around a quarter of all radio listening is now to digital, so a
future transition to digital radio continues to gain impetus. However,
the Government's policy is not to switch off FM. We believe that FM
will continue to provide a platform for local and community radio for
the foreseeable future.

It would not be in anyone's interest to force stations on to DAB or to
'switch off FM at a time when it would leave any local stations
without an appropriate broadcast platform. The assurance we can give,
therefore, is that FM will continue for as long as it is needed and
viable.

With reference to the effect on poorer households, digital radios are
portable, easy to use and affordable, with the cheapest models
available for about £25 and manufacturers are committed to developing
even more affordable DAB sets".

* Hansard source (Citation: HC Deb, 6 July 2010, c145W - http://is.gd/diAXy)

http://is.gd/diB1U

\\