[comradio-l] Celtic Connections 2010

Bruce Rodger bruce at celticmusicradio.net
Tue Jan 5 12:23:11 GMT 2010

Hi, and Happy New Year to all...

Celtic Connections 2010 kicks off in just over a week, running from
Thursday 14th - Sunday 31st January.

Celtic Music Radio will be broadcasting around 10 hours of live
coverage every day. We're happy to make these programmes available
to other community broadcasters - please get in touch and I'll
sort out a feed for you.

In particular, you may be interested in the "Iain Anderson In
Conversation" series, weekdays from 12.30-1.30.  Iain, of BBC fame,
presents a "chat-show"-style event in front of a live audience,
with 2 guests every day from the music, political and cultural
scene. This year's guests include Norman Maclean, Mairi Macinnes,
Barbara Dickson, Pat Kane, Ricky Ross, Dr Jim Swire, Ruth Wishart,
Henry McLeish, Fiona Hyslop and many more... Also live music every
day. Full details below.

We've broadcast the Iain Anderson series for the last few years - it's
a really good programme, definitely worth broadcasting.

We'll also be presenting the "Danny Kyle Open Stage" from 5pm-7pm.
5 different unsigned performers or bands each day, over 60 acts in
total, competing for fame, fortune and a main stage support gig
next year!

More details below - if you're interested in taking any of this
programming, please drop me a line.

Bruce.

Iain Anderson in Conversation - guests:

Mon 18: Professor Grant Jarvie and Gary Innes discuss sport, health
and the Nation.

Tue 19: Newly appointed Minister for Culture and External Affairs
Fiona Hyslop MSP, Henry McLeish and Ruth Wishart discuss how culture
impacts on the political landscape.

Wed 20: Musicians Pat Kane and Ricky Ross discuss the current state
of the Scottish music scene.

Thurs 21: Event promoters Neil Butler and Pete Irvine look at the
legacy for festivals following the Year of Homecoming

Fri 22: The Gaelic Bard, Norman MacLean discusses his autobiography
The Leper.s Bell with Mairi MacInnes.

Mon 25: Folk music has long been used as a tool for political comment
and Kit Bailey discusses the Folk Against Fascism movement with
Brian Taylor.

Tues 26: Head of the Scottish Literature Department at the University
of Glasgow, Professor Alan Riach in conversation with poet and
director of the Scottish Geopoetics Society, Norman Bissell on
Scottish writing.

Wed 27: Magnus MacFarlane-Barrow, Jack McConnell and Duncan Bannatyne
discuss the work of the Mary.s Meals movement which sets up school
feeding projects in communities where poverty and hunger prevent
children from gaining an education.

Thurs 28: Barbara Dickson has been captivating fans for the best
part of sixty years. She joins us to talk about her autobiography
A Shirt Box Full of Songs.`

Our typical weekday schedule:

until 11.00: normal programming from the studio, with regular "what's
on" updates.

11:00 - transfer to the concert hall

11.00-12.30: Mark Sheridan's "festival update", with guests from
the festival office and the day's performers. Previews, Reviews,
and the latest info on ticket availability.

12.30-1.30: Iain Anderson In Conversation. Iain, of BBC fame,
presents a "chat-show"-style event in front of a live audience,
with 2 guests every day from the music, political and cultural
scene. This year's guests include Norman Maclean, Mairi Macinnes,
Barbara Dickson, Pat Kane, Ricky Ross, Dr Jim Swire, Ruth Wishart,
Henry McLeish, Fiona Hyslop and many more... Also live music every
day.

1.30-5.00: Gordon Hotchkiss with festival news, guests, chat and
music.

5.00-7.00: The Danny Kyle open stage.

7.00-8.00: back to the studio for an hour.

8.00-10.00(ish): the Songs of Scotland from the Universal Club,
Sauchiehall Lane.  We're also intending to broadcast " Ceol's Craic"
from the CCA.

Weekends, we'll be covering the Dannys and the "New Voices" concerts.

We're also hoping to record a few other gigs for later broadcast -
can't say which ones yet, but we'll let you know as soon as it's
confirmed.

--

Bruce Rodger
Celtic Music Radio