[comradio-l] [cma-l] Community Radio & the Sony Radio AcademyAwards

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Feb 23 13:12:12 GMT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: "Two Lochs Radio" <tlr at gairloch.co.uk>

The 'volunter produced' would work for us and most of the other six
Highlands & Islands community-based stations, but the single 25 Watt
transmitter definitely would not!

Although presented mostly by volunteers, our community-based,
not-for-profit stations are all full commercial licence holders
because we all fought for and gained licences prior to the Community
Radio licence as such coming into being, and because of the terrain we
mostly have multiple transmitters. The smaller stations also tend to
be less well funded than even the smallest Community Radio licensees,
but we have no access to the present CR fund, although we are CMA
members.

Also, new actual CR licensees in the Highlands are liable to be
granted more than 25W because of the terrain. We cover a population
equivalent  no more than a couple of residential streets in London,
but spread over an area of some 400 sq km!

There are also four community broadcasters who broadcast a few hours a
day by opt-outs on the local relay transmitter of their respective
commercial ILR stations.

What about "not-for-profit, community-based radio stations"? That
should admit all those who are in spirit and constitution community
broadcasters, without including commercial for-profit stations.

Another term that is bandied about is "the Third Tier" of radio. This
could be used, but in whatever case I guess it would be important to
include in the small print a full definition of the stations intended
to be in the scope of this.

Alex
Two Lochs Radio

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Coote" <alan.coote at btinternet.com>