[comradio-l] Community Radio using Medium Wave?

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 15:03:51 BST 2008

Dear Ian

I would not agree that we as the CMA are accepting "this madcap
migration" to digital.  Really only the major commercials want it sooner
rather than later.  I agree entirely that the major networks should
migrate to digital radio (hopefully not on DAB) only once suitable
receivers are available.  Interestingly, the analogy with the railways
has come up in the DRWG more than once.

The reality of what the report is saying is that various criteria have
to be met before HMG would even begin to consider planning for the major
players to migrate and they are "hopeful" that these might be met by
2015 (although personally I doubt this start date could be met).  Even
if the big boys then did migrate by, say, 2020, FM will remain as part
of the radio ecology for many years after that.

However the main work for the CMA over the next 6 months on this is to
make sure that the "criteria" for the big players are robust and will
satisfy the needs in terms of FM etc for the community radio sector, but
also for all of us as citizens, to ensure that we are not ripped off,
either in technology terms nor in quality programming and content.

Hope this helps - keep this debate going!

Best wishes

Jaqui