[comradio-l] Mixed Polarity Transmission

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 11:35:50 GMT 2008

At transplan UK we're concerned that very few Community Radio
broadcasters are taking advantage of the mixed polarity (Horizontal as
well as Vertical) that Ofcom usually awards.

We are in the process of developing in conjunction with Jaybeam Wireless
simple and sensibly-priced antenna systems which allow the full
horizontal and vertical allocations to be used rather than the
compromises offered by many existing antenna configurations.

We're inviting all CR operators to contact us with details of which
antenna systems they use, especially if they have decided to use mixed
polarity.

I'm hoping to make contact with every operational station and those in
the run-up to broadcasting, and there's a brand new pair of DT100s
waiting for the response we pick out of the hat.

The questions are:

* - Did Ofcom award you mixed polarity?
* - Did you decide to take it up?
* - If no - why not?
* - If yes, which antenna system did you use?
* - Why did you choose that type?
* - Are you convinced that it gives you the full ERP in the horizontal
plane as well as in the vertical?
* - Was it recommended and/or installed by a company on the Ofcom list?
* - Overall, to the nearest hundred pounds, what did you pay for your
transmission system - excluding any link involved?

Thanks very much for your co-operation
Ian Hickling
ian at transplan.uk.com
016 3557 8435