[CMA R] DCMS Report Praises Social and Economic Impact of Community Radio

Alan Fransman alan.fransman at commedia.org.uk
Wed Nov 29 17:58:01 GMT 2006

+++ APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING! +++

Community Media Association

News Release

DCMS Report Praises Social and Economic Impact of Community Radio

A new research report published by the Department for Culture Media and
Sport finds that Community Radio stations have delivered important
social gains across a range of issues, particularly in respect of
volunteering, work placement and training opportunities.  The report
titled  ‘The Community Radio Sector: Looking to the Future’ was prepared
in order to assist DCMS Ministers with their thinking on Departmental
spending priorities and gathers evidence about the social and economic
impacts the sector has made to date.  The study looked at 13 Community
Radio stations across the English regions and the nations, as well as
stations targeting special interest groups.  The full list of Community
Radio projects in the research group follows.

Announcing the report at the Community Media Association Festival and
AGM 2006 in London on 25 November, Broadcasting Minister Shaun Woodward
said in his speech:  “I am really pleased that we have this report.  I
think it shows very much why we value Community Radio in our society and
why we should value Community Radio in our society.”

Phil Shepherd, Chair of the Community Media Association said; “The CMA
welcomes this report which demonstrates the Community Media sector’s
positive social and economic impact on communities across the UK.
Significantly, the report also explains how the sector helps those most
in need.  This is an important endorsement of the role that Community
Media’s plays in UK society and shows why Government should continue to
support the valuable contribution it makes to people of all ages,
backgrounds and abilities.”

-ends-

For further information visit: http://www.commedia.org.uk

‘The Community Radio Sector: Looking to the Future’
List of 13 participating stations

Afan FM - Neath and Port Talbot, Wales
To deliver a music-based information service specifically aimed at young
people aged 11-25.

Angel Radio - Havant, Hants
A service for older people to provide affirmation that they are still a
valuable part of society. As a matter of policy it plays music recorded
between 1900 and 1959 only.

BCB - Bradford
To serve all those living in a complex multi-cultural city.

Cross Rhythms - Stoke on Trent
A station which caters for Christians, but also seeks to attract the
wider community.

Desi Radio - Southall, London
The station exists to reconcile the different religious and social
stands of Panjabi culture in Southall by serving the needs of all
Panjabi Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists and Christians.

Down FM - Downpatrick, Northern Ireland
A service based in the local College of Further and Higher Education,
which covers the immediate town and surrounding villages.

Future Radio - Norwich
A community station which forms part of the NR5 project, an inclusive
arts and education project in the North Earlham, Larkman and Marlpit
communities of Norwich.

Gloucester FM - City of Gloucester
To provide a service targeted at black and ethnic minority communities
and disadvantaged groups in Gloucester to encourage integration within
the wider community.

Lionheart Radio - Alnwick, Northumberland
To serve an entire community in a rural area.

Radio Reverb - Brighton
To serve the deprived wards in central and Eastern Brighton targeting
the economically disadvantaged including the lesbian, gay, bisexual and
transgender population.

Takeover Radio - Leicester
To enable children aged between 8 and 14 years of age to run their own
radio station with minimum adult supervision.

VIP on Air - Glasgow, Scotland
A service targeted at the blind and partially sighted population.

Wythenshawe FM - Manchester
To serve the disadvantaged communities in the city.

--
Alan Fransman
Community Media Association

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities