[CMA R] Podcasting and the CMA

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Wed Feb 15 17:50:17 GMT 2006

Hi

From: Benjamin Wood <benjaminwood at gmail.com>

> I'm not sure about how the BBC got around PPLUK with regards to
> Podcasting, but could the CMA represent community stations to
> overcome the music within podcasts? I've plenty of people wanting  to
> do this, but PPLUK prevents me at the mo.

I am not aware that the BBC has 'got around' music licensing issues with
  PPL, MCPS and the other licensing agencies at all in terms of
podcasting.  From the podcast FAQ's on BBC's website:

>> Why are there no music programmes offered as downloads and podcasts?
>>
>> Unfortunately the rights situation is very complex for all programmes featuring music which is available commercially. This prevents us from offering any programmes featuring commercially available music as downloads and podcasts as part of the current trial.

The two BBC podcasts I can see which could potentially play music that
is still within copyright are the Chris Moyles and Chris Evans shows:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/downloadtrial/

As I understand it these two downloads feature only short clips of music
to link speech and interviews but so far I have not had the pleasure of
listening to either.  The above page also lists the "Talking 6 Music"
podcast advertised as a highlights package.

One of the BBC's most successful podcasts was of Beethoven's Nine
Symphonies but of course any copyright relating to that work expired a
number of decades previously.  It is also worth bearing in mind that the
most downloaded podcast to date is the recent Ricky Gervais series for
The Guardian which is speech-based.  It is therefore apparent that the
issue of licensing music in podcasts has not yet been ratified by any
broadcasting organisation.

The CMA does indeed represent the interests of the community
broadcasting sector to the licensing agencies including PPLUK, PRS, MCPS
and will continue to lobby vigorously on behalf of those community radio
stations seeking to podcast music-based content.

Regards

Bill Best