[Community Radio] TMCR - Does anyone have...?

Thorne & Moorends Community Radio gordon.sharpe at tmcr.org.uk
Mon Mar 21 14:08:35 GMT 2005

This may sound like a silly thought, but it does make sense (I think).

Has anyone ever created a full checklist of every little bit required to put
a radio station together? I'm not just talking about CD players and mixers,
but going right down to pens, tea bags and toilet rolls!

I working for Doncaster Council, with the specific task of getting a
Community Radio station together for Thorne and Moorends, which is at the
junction of the M18 and M180 in South Yorkshire. It's a rural area, with
Market Town status, designated as 'deprived' and eligible for regeneration.

The council are providing some funding to get the project off the ground,
buying all the studio equipment, funding the rent on the premises for the
first year and arranging a full time officer to oversee it all. That person
reports to a committee of local people and they've got their constitution in
place, a bank account open and have regular meetings.

Premises have been identified, on-air dates set for a 28 day RSL, wrapped
around the local festival weekend, and I now have the task of creating the
master 'shopping list'. If any item is missed then we may not get it as
funding is rather precise. Hence my original question - I don't want to miss
anything.

It would be nice to have petty cash to cover the little bits that are
needed, but it looks like that will not be available. All incoming funds
will be needed for the licensing and equipment.

Regards

Gordon Sharpe
Community Radio Project Officer, DMBC
Thorne and Moorends Community Radio (TMCR)
1 Finkle Court
Thorne
Doncaster
DN8 5TW