[Community Radio] Community radio application - single funder restriction

Steve Perry Steve.Perry at crossrhythms.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 11:41:52 BST 2005

Does this forum work anymore?

-----Original Message-----
From: comradio-l-admin at commedia.org.uk [mailto:comradio-l-admin at commedia.org.uk] On Behalf Of Babs McCool
Sent: 08 November 2004 15:47
To: cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Subject: [Community Radio] Community radio application - single funder restriction

+ Community Radio List +

Dear All

When is a partnership a single body (for the purposes of  community radio applications)?

In Scotland there are multi-agency partnerships called Social Inclusion Partnerships, in England  I believe the equivalents are called Local Strategic Partnerships.
  Up here these partnerships are designed to co-ordinate support in areas with high levels of deprivation and to effect 'joined up thinking' on the ground, so I assume same for England?

A number of projects in Scotland which are applying for community radio licences will be going to their local SIPs for funding, and I would like to know whether projects elsewhere in the UK treating your Local Strategic Partnerships as one corporate body, and therefore expecting the maximum 50% rule under the Community radio Order to apply?

In Scotland we are interpreting SIPs as multi -agency funders to which this rule would not apply. I have checked with Communities Scotland , the government agency up here with responsibility for regeneration and SIPs policy and they tell me that if Ofcom chooses to identify a SIP as a single corporate entity, it could in law, as it is actually classed as a single body under the Freedom of Information Act, but they think this would be an 'odd way to interpret' a SIP, as Communities Scotland,  the government regeneration agency in Scotland are clear that they see SIPs as multi agency groups facilitating community development through pooling funds, and parters represented on SIPS do not not necessarily see themselves as part of a single entity, but part of a vehicle for making regeneration work better than it did in the past.

From a Scottish perspective, if the 50% rule is adopted for SIPS by Ofcom, this could cause problems for projects who will have to find alternative sources of funding  These are some of the most under-resourced groups in the poorest areas.

I would be very interested to know what is going on over the border on this one!

Regards

Babs McCool
CMA Scotland