[Community Radio] Freelance Radio Feature Writer Wanted ASAP

Michelle McGuire michelle at commedia.org.uk
Mon Nov 22 14:19:33 GMT 2004

Forwarded From: "SamIam" <samiam at itours.org>
--

Hello:

I hope you had a good weekend. I am a small employer looking to hire a
freelance British radio scriptwriter for a feature on Glasgow and a few
other UK destinations. We have a ton of writers over here but really
want to
give this opportunity to someone local.

As I am in the United States I thought you might be able to provide me
with
some advice or assistance. Below is the job description. Could you
please
advise me how I might get a posting on your website, what other sites
are
good to list on, and especially what FREE resources I might be able to
post
on?

It would also be really appreciated if you could pass this on to anyone
you
think might be interested and appropriate. We DO NOT require prior
experience, merely talent.

Thank you in advance for all your assistance,

Samantha Chapnick

______________________

Freelance Radio Feature Writer Wanted ASAP

Could you blow away a Def Jam Poetry crowd?

Does your poetry, prose or songwriting make people laugh and cry?

Can you dig up facts and anecdotes (and rumors) others don't know?

This is a really fun job if you like writing, discovering new places,
interviewing people, listening to lots of music, and having a ton of
creative freedom. We are looking for some extraordinary freelance
creatives
write dramatic audio-only scripts for a combination audiotour, travel
show
and feature radio program. The finished product will be a 30 minute
audio-only program listened to by travelers walking or driving through a
city.

The ideal applicant will write a script that:
* Will suck the listener in with a WOW beginning that immediately
grabs the listener's attention and doesn't let go
* Uses highly descriptive, visual language that draws vivid tangible
images in the listener's mind
* Tells a story that describes places and people as they relate to an
overarching theme or plot line
* Follow a style appropriate for ear-only audience (i.e. short
sentences, no parenthetical clauses, good alliteration)
* If a character is used as a narrator, has strong character
development and believable dialog
* Appeals to a wide audience, is colloquial and friendly yet
professional in tone

APPLICATION PROCESS
To apply, send an email to HYPERLINK
"mailto:samiam at researchdog.com"samiam at researchdog.com with EACH of the
following:
1) An overview of your writing history with radio/audio-only experience
included AND
*         the city/cities you are most familiar with
*         The topics/hobbies you like (i.e. music, nightclubs, food,
art)
*         your contact information (please include best time to call)

2) A sample of your work. If you are experienced this would include a
previous radio script or other script written for audio-only broadcast.

If you are not experienced, that is FINE. If you do not have samples,
you
simply need to create a script for us to read. Create a 4 paragraph
opening
to a script about Glasgow' pop music scene. You are most likely to
succeed
if your sample has
*         an attention grabbing opening
*         introduces the topic in a compelling way
*         demonstrates your ability to write for the ear
DO NOT worry about accuracy or factual content. We are looking for
style,
not accuracy.

The most common reasons an applicant is not accepted are the following:

* Didn't submit appropriate audio-only sample scripts with the
application
* Didn't follow submission or application instructions
* Had a style more appropriate for an audio-visual channel
(television, book, or theatre)
* Used too many clichés or tired phrases (i.e. nestled in the hills;
picturesque village)
* Didn't create a strong enough opening-the opening is not supposed to
be a gentle introduction; it is a bang! Intro that leaves the listener
in
suspense, clamoring to find out more