[Community Radio] Ofcom floats analogue radio switch-off

Michelle McGuire michelle at commedia.org.uk
Wed Jul 14 12:20:45 BST 2004

Ofcom floats analogue radio switch-off
14 July 2004 09:43

Analogue radio signals could be switched off within a decade, according
to senior Ofcom partner Kip Meek.

Speaking at the Radio Festival in Birmingham this week, Meek predicted
that radio stations would exist solely on digital a short time after
the analogue TV switch-off target of 2012.

"It is difficult to conceive that if we turn off the TV signal we do
not turn off radio," said Meek, Ofcom's senior partner in content and
competition and a founder of Spectrum Strategy Consulting. "We are
aiming for 2012 in digital switchover for TV and do not think it will
be long after [for radio]."

The suggestion follows media secretary Tessa Jowell's admission in a
DRDB report last week that a switch-off for analogue radio was under
consideration.

Meek's comments were met with a mixed response from delegates, who
included figures from all the UK's main radio groups.

  Ralph Bernard, chairman of Classic FM owner GWR, which has invested
heavily in digital radio, welcomed the idea of a target. He said it was
necessary to encourage manufacturers to mass-produce new product.

"Three or four years ago, digital radio barely got a mention at this
festival," said Bernard. "Now we looking for a target date which will
mean that manufacturers of digital radios will see we are a country
that is taking it seriously."

However, John Myers, chief executive of GMG radio, which runs Jazz FM
and invests £2m a year in digital radio, was sceptical. He said he did
not think a target could be set before at least 15 years.

Commercial Radio Companies Association chairman David Elstein went
further and suggested analogue switch-off would not take place until
2020 or even 2030.

Source: broadcastnow.co.uk