[CMA_Radioforum] Extending the pilots licences.

Info Northern Visions E Mail info at northernvisions.org
Fri Sep 5 09:06:33 BST 2003

Hi all,
Northern Visions Radio has decided to give up its licence (due to expire at
the end of the year) in order to
concentrate on getting the community television service up and running. We
always knew the service as being a pilot, to pave the way for community
licensing, and the pilots have clearly been successful in achieving this.
We were quite happy for the opportunity to stay on air for an additional few
months after the year but did have reservations that we were being somewhat
favoured in this respect considering hundreds of others were waiting
patiently to have the opportunity to get on air.

The lead up and short length of time envisaged for the pilots in many ways
excluded any long term funding but we took this risk and went ahead anyway.
In the end our station
was sustained with no direct funding......which had its advantages - and
disadvantages.
When the community licences are advertised, and we have been informed by
Ofcom that
this will happen very early in the new year, we look forward to applying as
part
of a consortium.

The effort and capital outlay required to launch the station was
considerable, but we were never under any illusion that this was a time
bound pilot which would eventually culminate with community licences being
openly advertised for any group to apply. This is about equal opportunities,
something we are very conscious of in the north of Ireland. The
determination of the application process, a timetable, criteria and
formulating a clear and transparent basis on which the licences are awarded,
should be a matter of joint consultation and involvement between the fifteen
pilot projects and OfCom.

Best wishes
Dave Hyndman
Northern Visions Radio