[CMA_Radioforum] Bradford

Steve Perry Steve.Perry at crossrhythms.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 11:24:11 BST 2003

Hi Guys.

To be honest I have had the letters from PPL but not read them recently so I may be remembering this wrong but to my knowledge this is what we have received.

I have had notification of the amount that will be a requested (£500) and an agreement to sign but no invoice. Unless I get an invoice we can't pay it (standard practice). I expect PPL know that as they normally invoice me for other things but they are so slow in dealing with things that I expect it will be a while before we get one.

As we have had a internet/satellite feed for many years PPL approached me about this issue last year. It was the same policy of picking a figure out of the air but for the Satellite feed it was £2000! Same kind of idea that when they had sorted out how to charge us they would refund us/request extra payment as required.
They said this year they would work out a proper system do that this year based on what we actually played. (I.e. if only 10% of material we played was on their database we would pay less) They requested sample details of what I play so that they can work out how to charge me but as yet they haven't responded. They have not sent me any correspondence this year regarding our satellite feed. I expect that they wouldn't get away charging the arbitrary figure two years in a row and they haven't sorted out the new system yet and that's probably why they have been a bit quiet on that front.

However, bear in mind that all this correspondence was for our satellite feed not the FM access radio feed. All I have had for Access radio is the notice that they would charge £500. (Apart from that original request relating to access radio that requested monthly reports of all music. That one which was withdrawn after our protests. They then said they would discuss with us to find a suitable sampling period).

It does seem rather shoddy though just to make a charge with out any system behind it. But £500 was always the minimum amount they were talking about right at the start. That was my recollection of Lawrie's negotiations with PRS/PPL. So to be fair it's not unexpected.

Also it is almost certain that all of the stations somewhere are playing material who's copyright is administered by PPL. (Even if it is only singing "Happy Birthday To You" in the studio.) Therefore as the administrators of that copyright they do have a right to make a charge. They decided that £500 was the minimum needed to make it work. OK we would all like to pay less but I think the argument moved on from that some time ago. Perhaps, long term, we ought to be looking to the "Access Radio Fund" to meet this cost as it is fairly immovable and it will be effectively impossible to do "Access Radio" without it.

As for the work involved if it was just a couple of days per year reporting and (as it is for us from PRS) I personally don't see that as an extreme problem. Yes it is a pain training people how to do it and a discipline for those involved. If access radio is a potential training ground for those wishing to pursue careers in radio then that ought to included a level of PRS/PPL admin. As that is what is required in the mainstream but only in greater amounts.

All in all I don't think we can get around paying this. We may delay it and ultimately someone else may pay it but long term the issue won't go away.

Steve Perry
Cross Rhythms