[CMA_Radioforum] Funding access radio

Nicky Edmonds nicky at commedia.org.uk
Wed Jan 8 14:25:13 GMT 2003

Forwarded from Andrew at GTFM
Original Message-----
From: GTFM (Jennie Munnelly) [mailto:jen at gtfm.fsnet.co.uk]
Sent: 08 January 2003 12:23
To: nicky at commedia.org.uk
Subject: Re: [CMA_Radioforum] Funding access radio

	Hi Nicky
	My view is thatwe should be allowed to compete without
restriction. In my view there is no need for restriction in that the
amount of advertising we can attract is negligible and we are not
competition. Most ILR stations except the small number of truely small
scale and independently owned stations have national and regional
advertisers which we sadly cannot attract as almost without exception
they require RAJAR figures which we could not afford even if we wanted.
	Our ability to attract advertising is limited and that which we
do get is from very small local businesses who could not afford
mainstream ad rates anyway so I cant see what the problem is
	We exist with limited funds - we are expected to rely on grants
and public funding but in turn they expect us to get some private
funding to contribute so unless we are able to compete fairly we are
hampered all around
	On the question of us getting grants - well the answer there is
simple as we provide a large element of public sector broadcasting and
training which other ILR stations do not regard as commercially viable!
	We are praying on a positive outcome to an Objective One funding
bid but there is a related problem of State Aid and has been referred to
the DTI for a directive - it has been suggested that there could be
unfair competition to commercial radio - we hope they see sense
ootherwise we close in March!
	Thanks
	Andrew
	GTFM