[cma-l] Visually Impaired People to Benefit From Free Specially Adapted Radios

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Feb 16 17:08:13 GMT 2018

PRESS RELEASE

VISUALLY IMPAIRED PEOPLE TO BENEFIT FROM FREE SPECIALLY ADAPTED RADIOS

Visually impaired people in Birmingham and the North of England are being
invited to see if they are eligible for a free specially adapted radio from
a leading blind charity.

British Wireless for the Blind Fund (BWBF) provides the equipment on a free
loan basis to those with sight loss across the UK who meet its criteria and
has been doing so for 90 years.

Radio is a lifeline to those who are blind and partially sighted, providing
companionship and helping them to keep in touch with what is going on in
the world, as well as the local community.

BWBF is launching its ‘Reaching Out’ campaign in Birmingham and the North
of England to increase awareness of their equipment and services.

Regional Development Manager Sophie Wheldon, said: “Our radios are designed
so that a person with sight loss can use them easily and independently.
All equipment is delivered to the home by a volunteer who sets it all up
and provides support in using it.”

“We offer a range of equipment – digital radios, CD players, internet radio
and even a tablet device with a suite of specially designed apps.  Our
radios are vital to someone who cannot see – they provide news, information
and entertainment but also, more importantly, companionship and a friendly
voice. It’s much more than just a radio.”

If you live in Birmingham or the North and you or someone you know is
interested in a BWBF radio please contact Sophie Wheldon at
sophie at blind.org.uk or phone  01283 790 208 or 07540 724063.

To find out more about British Wireless for the Blind Fund, follow us on
Twitter @BritishWireless <https://twitter.com/britishwireless>, like us on
Facebook or go to www.blind.org.uk

ENDS

NOTES TO EDITORS

   - British Wireless for the Blind Fund is a national charity with a
   regional focus which aims to improve the daily lives of visually impaired
   and blind people.
   - It provides a lifeline to the world to those who are unable to afford
   a specially adapted radio and who meet our criteria by supplying equipment
   on a free loan basis.
   - To qualify for a radio, recipients must have sight loss, and in
   receipt of a means-tested benefit.
   - BWBF needs to raise £650,000 a year to continue providing this vital
   service to those who need it most and to respond to requests for equipment.
   - If people don’t qualify for a BWBF radio on free loan, they can
   purchase one from our sister company, BWBF Direct, which donates all its
   profits back to the charity. To find out more, go to www.bwbfdirect.co.uk

   - Registered charity number 1078287 in England/Scottish charity number
   SC041582.
   - For more information about BWBF, please contact Regional Manager,
   Sophie Wheldon sophie at blind.org.uk or call 07540 724063

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation

Canstream Internet Radio & Video