[cma-l] The social impact of participation in culture and sport inquiry

Community Media Association info at commedia.org.uk
Tue Feb 13 18:23:52 GMT 2018

Dear Colleagues, Friends & Supporters

I’m writing with regard to the inquiry led by the Digital, Culture, Media
and Sport Select Committee into the social impact of participation in
culture and sport.

The Committee is currently taking evidence on the social impact of
participation in culture and sport, across five major themes:

   - social mobility
   - health
   - crime reduction
   - education
   - community engagement
   - and diversity.

The themes will address six core questions (some of these are not entirely
relevant to our sector)

1. Which programmes best demonstrate the positive social impact that
participating in sport and culture can have on the five central themes of
the inquiry?

2. How can access to cultural and sporting professions (i.e. community
media) be improved to enable greater diversity? How can the government
build a pipeline of talent?

3. Why has the Government not coordinated its efforts more effectively?

4. Where are the examples of departmental best practice and could it be
shared?

5. Has the sport sector been better for social mobility than the arts? If
so, why? [This question is not so relevant to us]

6. How can museums, galleries, and other cultural venues (i.e. community
media) boost access and social impact?

The Community Media Association believes that our sector, with regard to
culture in particular, is well placed to address these questions. We hope
that you might be able to offer your own evidence in the form of a written
submission to the inquiry, or tell us more about your projects for us to
collate for submission.

Submissions will be published as part of the inquiry and they should not
exceed 3000 words. The deadline is *22nd Feb*, although we can arrange for
a later date if this is not convenient.

*Please reply to this email or use this form here: http://bit.ly/2HeCTNa
<http://bit.ly/2HeCTNa>*

More information on the inquiry, along with the portal for submissions, can
be found here:

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/digital-culture-media-and-sport-committee/inquiries/parliament-2017/socialimpact/

If you have any questions feel free to get in touch with the CMA

I look forward to your support for this inquiry.

With best regards

Bill Best
https://twitter.com/community_media

Canstream Internet Radio & Video