[cma-l] Fwd: Corby Radio wins Tesco "Bags of Help" funding for Youth Academy

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Oct 4 16:26:20 BST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: News (Corby) <news at corbyradio.com>

CORBY RADIO wins £3,000 from carrier bag charge fund

CORBY RADIO is delighted to announce it has "bagged" £3,000 from a Tesco
funding scheme.

Tesco teamed up with Groundwork to launch its Bags of Help funding
initiative, which sees grants raised from carrier bag sales being awarded
to thousands of local community projects every year.

Millions of shoppers voted in stores up and down the country. And it can
now be revealed Corby Radio has been awarded £3,000.
Work will now begin on bringing the project to life.

The community radio station's Academy for 13-17 year olds needed to replace
its ageing equipment - PC's, microphones and headphones – and this is now
possible with this funding.

Previously the Academy has tutored many youngsters in the basics of
broadcasting helping them develop their social skills in the process.

Des Barber, Corby Radio station manager, said : "We would like to thank
Tesco and their Bags of Help scheme for shortlisting us as one of the
organisations to receive funding, and of course a massive Thank You to the
people in Corby and the north of the county who supported the cause by
donating their blue tokens in-store. We now look forward to obtaining the
equipment which will allow us to continue our valuable work with the Youth
Academy at the station."

Alec Brown, Tesco’s Head of Community, said: “Bags of Help has been a
fantastic success. We’ve been overwhelmed by the response from our
customers. The great thing about Bags of Help is that local people are
invited to decide how the money will be spent in their community. We can’t
wait to see the projects come to life.”

Voting ran in stores throughout July and August with customers choosing
which local project they would like to get the top award using a token
given to them at the check-out.
Since launching in 2015, Bags of Help has awarded more than £36 million
across more than 7,900 local projects.

Tesco customers will get the chance to vote for three different groups each
time they shop. Every other month, when votes are collected, three groups
in each of Tesco’s regions will be awarded funding.

Bags of Help criteria have recently been extended to include any project
that benefits the community. Previously the scheme funded outdoor projects
only.

Groundwork’s National Chief Executive, Graham Duxbury, said:  “Bags of Help
continues to fund thousands of projects across the UK.  We want to ensure
that the money raised benefits as many local people in as many different
places as possible so we’ve extended the range of groups and projects that
we can support.  The scale and variety of activities supported by Bags of
Helps shows what can be achieved when communities are given the support and
the encouragement they need to make change happen in their local area.”

Funding is available to community groups and charities looking to fund
local projects that bring benefits to communities. Anyone can nominate a
project and organisations can apply online. To find out more visit
www.tesco.com/bagsofhelp.

Ends

Issued by Corby Radio

For further information please contact: Stewart McNeill on
news at corbyradio.com

NOTES TO EDITORS:

Bags of Help is supported by money from the sale of carrier bags in Tesco.

So far Bags of Help has awarded over £36 million to more than 7,900 local
community projects.

For more information please visit: <http://www.tesco.com/bagsofhelp>
http://www.tesco.com/bagsofhelp.

Corby Radio's OFCOM licence dictates that half of its income must come from
sources other than advertising, such as fundraising, grants and donations.

More information on the station including its history can be found at
corbyradio.com

--
Stewart McNeill
Corby Radio 96.3 FM

Opinions expressed in this email are those of the writer and not of
Corby FM Ltd.
This e-mail and any files with it are solely for the use of the addressee(s).
If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this e-mail in error.
Please delete it or return it to the sender or notify us by telephone
on 01536 265666 or news at corbyradio.com