[cma-l] C R Licensing - the Methodology

Trevor Lockwood lockwood at btinternet.com
Wed May 31 23:04:10 BST 2017

Ian

I agree. An individual or a very close-knit team - even with a team there has to be someone in charge.

It’s very difficult, and I suspect some stations decay because the a) one person gets fed up or b) an alternative leader tries to take over.

From my own experience I had competition - a small group who wanted to turn the station into a money-making machine. I’d b been at it for six years, and we had 65 volunteers, and it was doing well enough. I didn’t fight to retain control - but the money-makers had left within a month, quickly realising they couldn’t make cash. The station has struggled ever since (IMHO). It’s coming up  to 10 years old, not sure of Ofcom are interested enough to notice that it is still trying to be commercial, has very few presenters, whose egos play the music they like, and who have never understood what community meant.

I’m concerned now that the BBC seem to have won the right to control - and are playing the ‘big boss’. That’s a great pity because potentially the community broadcasters have so much more to offer than the Beeb will ever realise.

That’s another story.

Trevor Lockwood
once of Felixstowe Radio