[cma-l] C R Licensing - the Methodology

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Wed May 31 08:22:43 BST 2017

It's just struck me how Ofcom and indeed the Government have got it just a bit wrong with Community Radio.
Look at any CR station.
What do you see?
An Area?
A Community?
An Organisation?
No
You see one person - one motivated dedicated let's-just-get-it-done person.
Ed Vaizey during his time as Minister is on record as saying that Government policy is that every community that wants its own radio station should have one.
Excellent.
But communities don't act as one and it's impossible to get a decision or useful action out of a community without having a focal point.
The root cause is the "team" philosophy.
Teams don't make decisions.
As we've said before - in the most efficient organisations there is no "f" in team.
Ofcom is wasting its own and our time in putting the invitation to submit a CR Application out to areas under this hypothetical "fairness" principle.
When all these additional Applications are in, let's look at how many *viable* ones we have - in addition to those from EOIs
I suspect very very few.
Q E D - as Pythagoras is reputed to have exclaimed

Ian Hickling

Partner

[https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/2SkDsnIzSZgRbNnNKBSiwxiFhFQWRGV55mTjVL23fulnJpstZmYxeKrrYefY4qxiSgkMrAETld64XINLXCsujE_zI5gAsQyWeCWvHixcrNYtar3Sij4YlVBgN2NSQ-n2DsgZvrnpWZlfwCQ=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.transplanuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/transplan_UK_weblogo_190x60.png]<http://www.transplanuk.com/>

Office: 016 3557 8435  (07h to 22h GTS)

Car: 075 3098 0115 (only responds when driving)

6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS