[cma-l] The Community Business Fund is back!

Steve Buckley steve at cmso.co.uk
Thu May 18 13:04:54 BST 2017

Dear all

Power to Change is re-opening for grant applications to their Community
Business Fund. Sheffield Live! is one of the first community media
organisations to be awarded support from Power to Change and is featured in
their new grant publicity below.

We are delighted to be working with Power to Change and welcome their
recognition of the value of community media.

We'll be happy to share tips on how to make a successful bid.

Best wishes

Steve Buckley
Chair, Sheffield Live!

May funding and support for community businesses

*Yes you heard right, the Community Business Fund re-opens next month, but
we have webinars and guidance ready to help you write a strong application.
And we're also looking forward to Volunteers Week 1-7 June. Share your
story with us!*
*Community business in the Sunday Mirror*
At the end of April, community businesses featured in a dedicated 8 page
‘People Power’ supplement of the Sunday Mirror. It focused on our findings
that there are £7bn worth of assets
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=3d9b1c5d2a&e=b13aaca280>
that could be put into community hands.

If you have a story about assets in your local area, let The Mirror know
about it by contacting madeuthink at mirror.co.uk
<madeuthink at mirror.co.uk?subject=People%20Power%20supplement>
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=8bcd4f99b4&e=b13aaca280>
Peruse the People Power Supplement
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=1af9c2a45d&e=b13aaca280>

*Community Business Fund re-opens 7 June*

In the last twelve months, £10million has been awarded to community groups
through the fund
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=9519675801&e=b13aaca280>,
and we are looking forward to more innovative applications from June 7. The
funds aims to support existing community businesses with projects that
increase their sustainability and will be open until July 5.

Interested in applying? We’re hosting a free webinar on ‘How to write a
strong Community Business Fund application’ and you can also read our guidance
here.
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=cd7b5166a7&e=b13aaca280>
Register for tomorrow's webinar
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=3dac6f0702&e=b13aaca280>

*Featured grantee: Sheffield Community Media (Sheffield Live)*
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=ce2e45ecfc&e=b13aaca280>
Sheffield Live - a vibrant community TV and radio station
Sheffield Live are a community-owned TV, radio station and news site with
116 shareholders. Starting out in a caravan in 2000, they’ve come a long
way to provide local people with the opportunities to run shows, with
access to equipment and facilities, meeting space, training, business and
technical support to promote community voices as just some examples.
Sheffield Live engages those in social and economic exclusion and provides
volunteering, skills development, support into employment, support for
social businesses and job creation.

With over 100 hours of radio and 20 hours of TV weekly, Sheffield Live
understands that media and especially music break down barriers, and that’s
why they have an impressive 150 volunteers and many guests including young
people, older people, LGBT, those with disabilities and across different
languages.

Power to Change funded £200,948 towards the development of their digital
media centre and to replace equipment at the end of its lifespan so that
Sheffield Live can sustain its future for local people.

*Launching the Community Business Trade up Programme*

Calling community entrepreneurs! We've partnered with the School for Social
Entrepreneurs (SSE) to support 130 leaders of early-stage community
businesses in England through the Community Business Trade Up
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=9d0b18575a&e=b13aaca280>
Programme
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=7f0b2bd658&e=b13aaca280>
,with a fully funded six-month learning programme (consisting of 12
learning days) and a grant of up to £10,000. The first phase runs from May
to October 2017 in London and Liverpool and supports 30 community business
leaders.
Find out more about Trade Up for community business leaders
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=d3e62e8fae&e=b13aaca280>

*Work with us*

This month we're looking for researchers to explore the state of the
community business market, community businesses with research ideas and a
delivery partner for our Empowering Places programme. Lots of ways to get
involved and work with us!
Read our current Invitations to Tender
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=4f6f7b2447&e=b13aaca280>

*Calling all community business volunteers*
Volunteers Week is on the horizon, taking place from 1-7 June. We’re
looking for volunteers in community business to share with us a short quote
on the benefits of volunteering in their community business to feature in a
#volunteersweek campaign.
Interested? Get in touch
<clared at powertochange.org.uk?subject=%23VolunteersWeek>

*Connect with others involved in community business*
There are over 7,000 community businesses in England - so let's connect on
Facebook. This open group is for those involved in commmunity business as a
forum to share tips, ask for help, share good news and opportunities.

Join the community business network
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=303eaa0f85&e=b13aaca280>

*What is the power of place-based working?*
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=5f113e8369&e=b13aaca280>
Watch the video
The Power of Place event brought over a hundred people  with different
experiences of working in places to share and debate some key questions:
What is place-based working? What does its success look like?
Reflections on the Power of Place
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=778c6e524e&e=b13aaca280>

*What we've been blogging about*
The challenges ahead on mental health spending
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=7b179ab081&e=b13aaca280>
What makes a good membership organisation?
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=81220840b2&e=b13aaca280>

*In the news...*
Sunday Mirror, ‘People Power’ (pamphlet
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=eb4763fc89&e=b13aaca280>
)

BBC, why drinking is now the dullest thing you can do at a pub
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=89c0f0d363&e=b13aaca280>

Government Business, Liverpool residents most aware of council cuts, survey
finds
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=d8ca7b9f5f&e=b13aaca280>
*Coming up*
*12/13 June, Community Business Roadshow, Telford and Wrekin*
How can community business diversify and develop a wider range of
activities which would benefit local people who need help or care? Find out
at this roadshow run by Community Catalysts. They also have other dates in
Warwickshire. Find out more
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=6446ce30b1&e=b13aaca280>
 *14 June, Marketing for Co-operatives, Birmingham*

Exclusive training opportunity for people who deliver marketing and
communications in their co-ops. Book now.
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=6ced84eb8a&e=b13aaca280>
*14 June, What enables a community business to succeed?**,** London*

Join us at The RSA to hear insights from new research around the success
factors for community pubs, housing and transport, and from people running
successful community businesses. Reserve your place.
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=dac9124722&e=b13aaca280>
 *17-18 June, The Great Get Together, nationwide*

Set to be the biggest community event since the Jubilee, thousands of
community get-togethers are being planned across the UK. Find out how you
can join the celebration.
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=b3da34339d&e=b13aaca280>
If you would like to advertise a community business related event or
training, or volunteering/job opportunity in the next newsletter in May
please send an email to charlottec at powertochange.org.uk
<charlotte.cassedanne at thepowertochange.org.uk>

*Power to Change*
The Clarence Centre
6 St George's Circus
London SE1 6FE
020 3857 7270
info at powertochange.org.uk www.powertochange.org.uk
<http://thepowertochange.us10.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=6281663646&e=b13aaca280>

2015 Power to Change Trustee Ltd is a company limited guarantee registered
in England and Wales, no. 08940987, and registered charity, no. 1159982.

u=bcd6924bb7ef8723793c4b720&id=ebcaf5f0ed&e=b13aaca280&c=889f110488