[cma-l] Opportunities to present talks at London conference to mark the 50th Anniversary of BBC Local Radio

Josephine Coleman jo_coleman_home at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 16 10:26:04 GMT 2017

Dear all
At the risk of sounding too scholarly (I've also been told I'm 'too posh
for pop' presenting on the radio, but that's another story!) I would
like to call your attention to an event taking place later in the year
marking the 50th Anniversary of BBC Local Radio.

It's a one day conference on Saturday 18 November 2017 at the University
of Westminster, Regent Street, London.  There will be a couple of big
lectures and several smaller presentations and panel discussions.  The
aim of the event is not necessarily to celebrate the Corporation's local
radio 'record' but to challenge it. We are interested in the field of
local radio and local broadcasting services in general. And this is why
members of the CMA are being approached, because there is a wealth of
experience and knowledge in this organisation about broadcasting to
local communities.

We are inviting proposals and ideas for 15-20 minute talks or
presentations, which take a critical look at local radio broadcasting,
such as:

The contribution of BBC Local Radio to the representation and
participation of minority groups and under-served audiences/communities
[or not - whatever is your experience!]
The development of new production and broadcast practices, skills and
technology, pioneered in the field of local broadcasting
The importance of creating archives of local radio content

For more information, and how to lay out and send in your idea, here is
the website address
https://camri.ac.uk/2017/03/14/call-papers-bbc-local-radio-50th-anniversary-symposium/

The deadline is Friday 5th May at 5pm.

Thanks for listening (if you got this far!)
Jo

--

Josephine Coleman
Doctoral Student/Associate Tutor