[cma-l] Chronicle ROT Logger Beta

James Cridland james at cridland.net
Sat Mar 4 23:13:05 GMT 2017

I think my only point about file size is to answer the question "how large
a hard drive should I have?" If you wanted the answer - a 750GB hard drive
should be enough.

Since this software is there to run a legally-required service, the last
thing you want it to do is to silently fail due to a lack of disc space.

The "never delete" archive comment - I can't see any requirement to stream
directly to S3 (and as you say, it's virtually impossible anyway). I'd run
an hourly, daily or weekly cron job to upload the files - which you might
want to ensure are in sensible folder structure (/2017/03/12/0400-0500.wav)
so you don't end up with an unweildy file list. Using a separate cron job
is less likely to hurt the recording process, I'm assuming.

Transferral to Amazon Glacier, incidentally, can be set to automatically
happen after a period of days with AWS. (For those reading along - Glacier
is an even cheaper place to dump your files, with the drawback that if you
want them, you need to request them and they take about four hours to
become available).

This is good stuff - I'm sure that logging has been re-invented many times,
but anything that is free and simple to use (and, most importantly, open
for others to improve) is a good thing in my book!

//j