[cma-l] Fwd: Re: Warm weather hazard

Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Wed Jun 21 16:57:18 BST 2017

We use to have that  sort of trouble with an RVR 1.5GHz link receiver – two
of the chips inside were old-style DIP plug-in packages, and over the
seasons they would steadily ‘walk out’ of their sockets – presumably because
of temperature cycling, perhaps aided by vibration from the ridiculously
noisy fans in those units. I solved it by putting some tiny bits of neoprene
sponge on the inside of the case where they exerted very gentle pressure on
the backs of the ICs when the case was closed up.

We also had a BW TX 600 going off intermittently a couple of summers ago,
and before heading for the hills to sort it, noted that it was going off for
a very regular short period before returning to service for a while and then
repeating this, but the breaks were longer during the day, shorter in the
morning and evening, with no problem at all at night. By now you may have
guessed – the cooling fan had failed, and as the transmitter heated up its
thermal protection was cutting in while it cooled down again. During the day
it was heating up quicker and cooling down more slowly. I wish all
intermittent faults were so straightforward to diagnose!

Alex