[cma-l] BBC Local News Partnerships

Canalside Community Radio Ltd office at canalsideradio.net
Fri Jun 9 17:38:04 BST 2017

Michael n all

I possibly will be consigned to the Naughty boys corner in Coventry again after this, but alas, here goes.

Not wishing to take anything at all away from any of our Team / Fraternity who have managed to gain one of these Journalists or created some kind of link, working relationship with the afore mentioned Project.

I have had a personal response from the BBC on questions asked and to put it bluntly we have had the usual drivel. They tell me what I already know, don’t offer any ‘’’slightly different approaches’’’ as it like many other establishments are run by people in grey suits, lots of degrees and black and white rules     oh   not forgetting the huge set of blinkers.

I think a number of our Fraternity ‘will be’ successful and I take my hat off to them and wish them well. The problem is we are heading for a catestophic two tier system within a Venture that is already underfunded and somewhat hung out to dry on many occasion. It might be acceptable in some peoples books, but certainly not mine.

This has not been thought through, it is yet another autocratic cock-up and most of all a MISSED Opportunity.

To answer the question, I reckon not many have applied as the light bulb went on in their heads and the Programme ‘’’pointless’’’ sprung to mind. A little bit like the Grants on offer that go to a vote. All a waste of time and effort for us.

The system to me was quite a simple one providing of course the real reason for launching this project was true and proper, and there lies the problem. Unless someone convinces me otherwise my view remains the same ---- it’s bent.

I am not Mr Nasty I am merely saying what I see and what I hear. I do not put these ideas in my own head, they are put there by the establishment.

If the exercise is to make certain organisations more accountable, to report news on a wider scale locally and to involve as many as possible then there was a simple way of doing it. The Beeb have chosen the difficult route, using the usual impartiality argument, which quite frankly doesn’t wash.

All our part needed to be in all of this was the point of delivery ….. nothing more, nothing less, we as a Radio Station primarily merely deliver it to our listeners in a Professional manner --- news that they (our listeners) would not normally hear owing to the fact that they are listening to us, and not Commercial Radio nor BBC. This is not rocket science. As I say a classic missed opportunity, perhaps deliberately.

The professionalism is in the report itself and is what comes from the experts    ie:- the 200 Journalists. To say we daren’t broadcast it is a nonsense     we’re Radio ???   that’s what we do !   we Broadcast ……… we only run news on websites and have other tickles going because we have to, first and foremost we are Radio. This seems to have been conveniently overlooked, which of course it will be deliberately if the system is bent.

We also have to bear in mind that just possibly (oh no not a conspiracy theory)    perhaps the Ivory Towers want us as third fiddle, that’s as far as they want us to travel. I haven’t over the 15 years seen a lot of evidence to convince me otherwise.

Sadly patronising b                    u                            l   l ****    doesn’t count.

Can people not see that the danger of doing ‘it’ wrong comes from a Station trying to cobble together a rag tag and bobtail report, in a rushed manner with unskilled staff and volunteers …. That’s when the danger light flashes. However, if we receive a Professionally produced report    say   4 times per-day and we merely paly it out at News times.

This helps us and helps the overall project.

So ---- let us once again cut the c …………………*** and say it as it is.

What is the reasoning behind this project and this £8 Million investment ?

And   Why have we ended up with this complete Horlicks ?

In my opinion (and I have told Bill, Martin, Lucinda and Dom)    no one should have signed up or applied for anything until these questions are answered …. And yes, answered in a favourable and sensible manner for Community Radio. A level playing field, which yet again it never is.

I have said my piece, I shall now hop on the Bus to that corner in Coventry

Perhaps one day I may get the opportunity to write a 100% positive praising everybody up, love to all e-mail ……. Things need to change at the top end though for me to be able to do that.

All the best everyone

Have a good weekend

Nicholas H Dumpty

Canalside Community Radio Ltd.