[cma-l] Ariana Grande One Love Gig

Canalside Community Radio Ltd office at canalsideradio.net
Tue Jun 6 13:54:49 BST 2017

Bill et al

It certainly is and well done to those who took it. Obviously you know what my next question is (which I don’t think we can answer anyway)      How many people listened via Community Radio ?      poking my head up above the parapet again I would say ‘’’not many’’’    hence my observation last week that this type of thing isn’t really us. But please, this isn’t a criticism as it is up to each individual Station what they choose to do.

Just on another matter which might raise a smile or two   😊          last week we went to the local Hustings to cover the debate (as we always do)      the Civic Hall in Bollington was packed to the rafters and since it has had a spring clean it now has a pull our stage and pull our seating …. It really looks the part. It really did have that ‘’’Question Time’’’ feel.

We provided all the PA and we recorded the event. The evening went well with five candidates ….. Green / Independent / Conservative / Labour / Lib Dem     no UKIP this time round …. Some good debate and even I was surprised with the result of the recording …. Levels were good and everything was clear.

We brought the recording back and we have thus far played it out twice, it will get one more airing. The event is now on our website as a Podcast.

However, being Community Radio we did have a few teething problems ----- the Podcast went belly-up over the weekend where it was introduced in the good ol’ David Frost manner      ‘’Hello Good Evening and Welcome’’ and then made a funny squeaking noise, a clunk, two people sounding like Pinky and Perky and then it stopped   LOL   😊                  I (moi) went one better yesterday evening as it had its second airing. Cut a long story short (I hold my hands up)   I loaded the wrong one (I loaded the hustings from 2015 ! )                     it sadly ran for about 20 minutes before I realised. I was in one of the Studios doing Production work so I couldn’t hear what was happening on-air           no one else was here (Billy no mates)     and the phone was OFF the hook in the Production Studio (unbeknowing to me)       in otherwords a classic recipe for a disaster.

I popped out of the Studio to make a cup of tea and heard the phones ringing off the hook …… on the line were the Lib Dem candidate, the local Green Party Chairman, over a dozen listeners, the Conservative Club and the Labour candidates girlfriend ………….. basically, I made a complete Horlicks of it.

It just shows that even the best of concentration, experience and planning can still go wrong ….. and yes, it went horribly wrong.

I knew it was wrong when I heard it playing out, but didn’t twigg immediately ….. the lady in the audience who was asking the question actually emigrated to Australia 18 months ago and I thought ‘’I don’t remember seeing you there?’’         one of those classics where you know something isn’t right but can’t quite put your finger on it   LOL

We managed to get the correct one on, but it threw all the Programming out of sync by about three quarters of an hour.

We apologised via social media and with a quick announcement …. I really went to Town this morning though and made a big joke of it                  well ?   what else could I do ?

Dunces corner indeed for Mr Dumpty, or is that Numpty    LOL

The question I ask is this             Would this happen anywhere else apart from Community Radio ?    maybe not ?     and because it does happen from time to time on Community Radio, because we are what we are (which is always the point I make)      are we forgiven OR    does this type of thing just confirm to some people that we’re a mickey mouse outfit ?

I don’t want to come across insulting to any of us, I am merely asking the question, hence why I always describe us as ‘Down to Earth Radio, warts n’ all’      bizarrely enough from our research       that is what the people like who listen to us. The issue of course is how do you get the others to listen ?

Nick Numpty                         Doh !

Canalside Community Radio Ltd.

Canal 2B,

Clarence Mill,

Bollington,