[cma-l] Licensing and VAT

Richard Hilton Richard.Hilton at bitc.org.uk
Wed Jan 4 10:45:03 GMT 2017

VAT?!  How long have you got?

It may well be that PPL / PRS are partially registered for VAT purposes (don’t ask!) and it is in their interest to charge VAT on as much of their income as they can.

My suggestion is to politely ask PPL / PRS why they are charging VAT on their ‘licence’ when, for example, Ofcom don’t charge VAT on their ‘licence’.  Insist that they give their answer in writing – so best to email them.  Then ask Ofcom, again politely, why they don’t charge VAT on their ‘licence’.    Undoubtedly both will have taken (expensive) advice and cleared it with HMRC.  But if there is an obvious inconsistency then maybe raise it with HMRC.  But be warned, it may end up with Ofcom charging VAT on their ’licence ‘!

Richard