[cma-l] DCMS Consultation on the Deregulation of Commercial Radio

Martin Steers martin at martinsteers.co.uk
Wed Dec 20 11:00:33 GMT 2017

You are fine to have an issue with "the switchover", I have an issue with
the term and have raised that with DRUK and DCMS on a few occasions.

I think "switchover" sounds too similar to "switchoff" which we had with
the digital TV process a few years back, and I fear that if listeners feel
like the FM radio is dead it could impact on CR and smaller commercial
stations.

Ian you are always one to ask for evidence, what evidence do you have about
the panic and actual damage it is causing the sector?

In fact I would argue that the move to switchover over the last 5+ years is
what paved the way for the new local DAB (SSDAB) which is a fantastic
opportunity for community broadcasters, and will give a platform to many
that FM isnt suitable or available for them.

Martin