[cma-l] The Community Media Conference 2017: Voices in a Changing World

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Aug 23 16:17:59 BST 2017

Early-bird booking is open for the Community Media Conference 2017, the
largest conference in the UK for the community media sector.

*Book now: https://cma2017.eventbrite.co.uk
<https://cma2017.eventbrite.co.uk>*

*And we're delighted to confirm that Nick Dunkerley of Hindenburg
<https://hindenburg.com/> will be delivering a 90-minute audio editing
masterclass over two breakout sessions.*

This year the theme will be ‘Voices in a Changing World’ and we will be
asking what role does community media play in a changing world and how does
community media respond to global events that affect us at a local level?

There will also be workshops on funding, business models for community
media projects and how community media can foster community development.

The Community Media Conference brings together community broadcasters and
publishers, media enthusiasts, academics and creatives for a day of
learning, exchange and celebration with inspiring speakers, practical
workshops and networking opportunities.

And don’t forget that tickets are priced *two-for-one *for CMA members –
one ticket admits you and one station volunteer!

Booking is also available for the Community Radio Awards
<http://www.communityradioawards.org.uk> in the evening: £15 per person for
Conference attendees and £20 per person if attending the Community Radio
Awards only.

The agenda, still subject to change, is as follows:

09:30 – 10:30 Registration and networking

10:30    Welcome & Introductions

10:45    Panel Session 1: Voices for Change

   - What is the role of community media in a changing world?
   - How do we give a voice to diverse communities?
   - How do we respond to world events and how they affect our local
   communities?
   - What is the role of community media in the media landscape?

11:30   Morning break

11:45   Panel Session 2: Community Ownership for Fairer Media

   - Business and funding models that challenge traditional media ownership

12:30   Community Media & Community Development – presentation

12:55   The Community Media Charter – showcase event

13:00  Lunch

13:45   Workshop session 1

   - Radio editing masterclass by Nick Dunkerley of Hindenburg spanning
   Workshops 1/2 (90mins)
   - Media Against Hate
   - The Radio Hub - Local Networks
   - Radio Regen - employability and community media
   - SSDAB
   - Funding workshop

14:30   Changeover

14:45   Workshop session 2 – session 1 workshops repeated.

15:30  Changeover

15:45   Panel Session 3: Creative responses

   - Talks followed by presentations of work
   - How do artists working in community media respond to global events?
   - What can we say without words when words fail us?
   - What unique possibilities does community media afford creatives?

16:30   Conclusions, wrap up from CMA Council and staff

16:45  Finish, networking

*Early bird tickets are available until the end of August – book now!*

*Book now: https://cma2017.eventbrite.co.uk
<https://cma2017.eventbrite.co.uk>*

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation