[cma-l] Press Release: Community Station Sedgemoor FM Saves The Breeze

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Apr 13 22:18:08 BST 2017

Sedgemoor FM, a community radio station based in Bridgwater Somerset are
committed to all aspects of their community, including what some might
consider, rival commercial radio stations. In a gesture of good-will and
community support, Sedgemoor FM have ensured that the Commercial Station,
The Breeze, (operated by Celador and broadcasting across Bridgwater and
surrounding areas) were put back on air and back to full service only hours
after a catastrophic power failure in their transmission system.

On Tuesday 11th April 2017 the whole of Bridgwater, Somerset suffered power
outages, which took both Sedgemoor FM, and The Breeze off air as they share
the same transmission site. Sedgemoor FM’s own engineering team were first
on-location as the company tasked with maintaining The Breeze (Radica) are
based some 3 hour’s drive away in Hove, on the south coast.

After diagnosis and consultation with Celedor’s own in-house engineering
team in Southampton, Sedgemoor FM’s techies were able to restore temporary
power to The Breeze enabling them to restart and then continue
broadcasting, minimising any further inconvenience to their listeners and
of course, valued commercial clients.

Of the act of kindness, Sedgemoor FM’s Grant Francis says “We value every
aspect of our community whether its a not for profit group, school, club or
a business in Sedgemoor. The Breeze are part of our community and we
couldn’t leave them stranded. We were in a position to help them out so we
did what we could to get them back on-air. I’m sure they would do the same
for us and, where possible, support what we do too.”

It is understood that The Breeze’s own engineers will be attending to the
transmission system to replace the equipment damaged by the power outages
in the coming days.

Sedgemoor FM, can be heard on 104.2FM in Bridgwater and online at
www.sedgemoorfm.co.uk  and is a shining example of community radio.