[cma-l] Remote Contribution Infrastructure

Mike Davison mike at g1sbn.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 20:24:18 BST 2016

I was hoping someone would mention Skype. We have three kits for live
interviewing as bi-lateral operation.

They are affectionately known as THB1,2 and 3. THB stands for 'Talking
Hand-Bag'.

THB1 is just a simple mobile 'phone with 12volt Yuasa battery powering a
car kit in a bag with sockets for mic and headphones. Quality just
tolerable but it was a start and simple to use. One of our technophobe
volunteers likes it.

THB2 is a HP Netbook with 3G dongle in a Maplin flight case and sockets
for mic and headphones. It is used with Skype only for interviewing.

THB3 is a Windows phone clamped on a board with notepad and a 3rd party
adapter to feed headphones and take a mic. It can be used on Skype or as
a mobile accepting a quality reduction if internet connection not good.

THB2 is also pressed into service for unilateral use on full remote OB
operation using Windows Media Encoder streaming directly over the
internet to studio where a PC runs WinMedia Player. We have done 4 hour
OB's with no glitches being observed on a CD quality stereo link. The
down side of using this 'free' software is a 7-8second delay but that's
easily covered up.

Mike Davison, Tempo FM.