[cma-l] Offensive language on radio

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 1 10:26:46 BST 2016

I'm afraid the real-life answer is that the Licensee is responsible for ensuring that everything broadcast by the station falls within guidelines.
We all know this when we take on a project of this nature.
If we get it wrong - and don't immediately make amends - we have to take the wrap.
If you don't like the rules of the game you should take up a different one - or run the very real risk of getting taken out.
Whilst I have every sympathy - I had to deal with a similar severe Ofcom censure with the amazing but ceased XS Wales - simply putting up the defence of "....we have too many people involved and we can't keep track of every single thing they say and play......" cuts no ice with Ofcom - and it doesn't with me.
I use offensive language when I hit my thumb with a hammer - or get cut up on the road - where I have control over who can hear me.
On radio - you don't have that.
Set out your own standards in writing of what is and what is not acceptable and make sure that everyone on the station reads it and signs as agreeing to abide by it.
I know it's awfully formal and dictatorial - but all you have to do is make sure they understand that if it's not complied with - there simply will be no radio station there for them to enjoy.

It's a hard old life - isn't it - having to play by the rules all the time?

Ian Hickling

Partner

[https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/2SkDsnIzSZgRbNnNKBSiwxiFhFQWRGV55mTjVL23fulnJpstZmYxeKrrYefY4qxiSgkMrAETld64XINLXCsujE_zI5gAsQyWeCWvHixcrNYtar3Sij4YlVBgN2NSQ-n2DsgZvrnpWZlfwCQ=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.transplanuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/transplan_UK_weblogo_190x60.png]<http://www.transplanuk.com/>

Office: 016 3557 8435  (07h to 22h GTS)

Car: 075 3098 0115 (only responds when driving)

6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS