[cma-l] Community Radio Fund mini-survey

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Mon May 23 12:32:18 BST 2016

Yes but   ‘’Houston we have a problem’’

The problem we have is the old infamous Oil Tanker again. Turning it around
is laborious, laboured, slow, long-winded

. I haven’t had time to read
the response here as that would be yet another spinning plate on top of the
50 odd that we already have

.the thing that strikes me though is if we had
a response like this (or dare I say no response)  Interestingly there is no
acknowledgement of Question 7 in the Government Response to the Consultation
on Community Radio   ie:- the classic ‘’oh, well ignore that one and they’ll
go away’’      sadly, from all accounts it looks as if we have.

What the hell is the point of having a consultation when before the yay or
nay you don’t even get an acknowledgement ??       this whole malarkey gets
dafter by the Day.

It isn’t my job to be banging on doors and rattling cages, however, if no
one else is doing it then so be it
..the consultation is dated 2014 and
looking at this we got no response. So the questions here are    1) Why not
?    2) Why wasn’t it followed up immediately to at least get a reply and
get things moving, be that the original Plan A or a Plan B and/or C        I
admit it could have been a genuine mistake as there has been a bit of
too-ing and fro-ing at CMA level and things can get lost.

The word ‘consultation’ has drifted into dispatches again

the moment I
see that word I think ‘’eh up, here we go again, another six months of my
life whizzing past the front of my very eyes’’      can we simply ban the
word ‘consultation’ and just get on with it. Try it, Suck it and see
. No
one has anything to lose, not us, not the DCMS, not Ofcom.

On top of that we have a VERY URGENT discussion that needs to take place

I ask the question again and I have asked via my local MP / Mr Vaizey
this money that has suddenly appeared from nowhere to fund Newspaper
Journalists (which has absolutely nothing to do with Radio !)(unless I have
missed something?)     why is Community Radio not getting a 2 Million tickle
£££ from it ?          if this was the case,     ‘THEY’  as in Government /
DCMS would have a more secure Community Radio base which in itself would
deliver better ‘local news’     (which at the end of the day this centres
around)       and a fund equally divided if I have done my maths would give
each Station about = £9,000 quid for starters

 plus a regular little tickle
£££ for the CMA itself.

I ask via our Committee, why oh why yet again are we not even mentioned in
dispatches, not even in the equation and I ask our own Committee    HAVE WE
ASKED THE QUESTION YET ?     I started this debate 2 weeks ago            if
not    when are we putting the question ?             can I suggest it is
this week please and then report back what the answer / response is

following that response you then deal with it with Plan A / B / C / D
providing we of course have any.

We really have got to start getting our Soldiers in line here as I sense a
going around in circles again, at the speed of the proverbial Community
Radio Oil Tanker.

This might be a game to some, but to others it is very serious with lots
sailing close to wind and staring into the abyss.

Come on guys, ‘get a shift on’ !

Nick

  _____