[cma-l] News from Somerset

Phil Shepherd phil at somersetfilm.com
Wed May 18 12:30:26 BST 2016

Greetings

Some news from me and from Somerset Film:

I have taken the first faltering steps to a creative hour on Glastonbury FM,
which incidentally will soon feature a new aerial in a much improved
location.   The show ­ called ListenHear ­ aired for the first time last
Friday and repeats this Friday 20th at 6pm.  www.glastonburyfm.com   It
looked at Œwalkers and pilgrims¹ through the prism of poetry and (one) song.
I¹m doing one on hitch hiking in June.  Do have a lsiten if you fancy.

I also belatedly invite you all to our new Engine Room studio launch, also
happening this Friday.  Here below is an invite and paste some background .
Everyone very welcome!

Phil S

*****************

INVITATION from Somerset Film

The Engine Room is growing! Please join us on Friday 20 May for the opening
of Studio 2

This is not just an opportunity to see the new building, but also a chance
to interact with it digitally ­ truly a #playablebuilding

Doors open from 12 noon with an official ceremony at 1pm with Bridgwater
Town Mayor elect Alex Glassford and Councillor Liz Leavy and a special guest
appearance from animator Barnaby Dixon¹s amazing Dabchick

Then join us later from 6-9pm for an immersive sound and light experience,
good company, refreshments and much more

RSVP (not essential but helps us plan!) call us 01278 433187 or e-mail
info at somersetfilm.com

More info on #playablebuilding plus background to Studio 2 at
somersetfilm.com

*************

Some background to the Engine Room launch:  the building next door to us has
been redundant for many years. The ground floor had previously housed the
tourist information centre but had been empty for about 8 years, while the
two upper storeys had been unused for around 50 years and were only
accessible via a ladder. The building was completely unsafe and had to be
demolished and rebuilt.

Working with O2i Design design and Qube Construct we have  demolished all
but the frontage of the old building and rebuilt it using a robust steel and
concrete frame to create a new three storey, purpose-built creative space.

We got considerable funding from Arts Council England towards the first
phase of the development, with additional funding provided by both Sedgemoor
District Council and Bridgwater Town Council.

This funding has enabled us to enhance our digital and creative media
services by offering a new community creative and meeting space with better
access and connectivity throughout, and to establish the infrastructure for
a local film and TV archive, improved edit facilities and opportunities and
support for fledgling creative businesses and disabled film-makers.

On Friday May 20th we open the first part of the new building  ­ the ground
floor ­ and this will be an opportunity not just to see the new building,
but to interact with it.  Sessions from 12 till 2 then 6 till 9pm.  Do join
us if you can and do bring friends, colleagues, family.