[cma-l] Electoral Participation (Media) Debate - [David Crausby in the Chair] - in Westminster Hall at 4:00 pm on 27th April 2016.

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed May 4 15:43:03 BST 2016

*Jonathan Lord Conservative, Woking (Con)*
I am grateful to the hon. Gentleman for securing this important debate. In
my constituency we have two excellent local newspapers: the Surrey
Advertiser, which is branded the Woking Advertiser in Woking, and the
Woking News & Mail. They cover local and national politics in a very
considered way. However, so many towns are now without a local newspaper -
never mind two - and I wonder whether local radio stations should also be
covering local and national politics more than they do to make up for the
very unfortunate decline in our traditional local press.

*Owen Thompson, Midlothian (SNP Whip)*
I absolutely agree; this is a responsibility of all media platforms. My
constituency is very fortunate to have two community radio stations—Black
Diamond FM and Crystal FM—that take an active interest in politics locally,
and which do their bit when it comes to elections by hosting hustings and
such. Coverage should absolutely be across all platforms.

Hansard link:
https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2016-04-27/debates/16042774000001/ElectoralParticipation(Media)

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation

Canstream Internet Radio & Video
http://www.canstream.co.uk/
https://twitter.com/canstream

*Book your tickets now for the Community Media Conference
2016: http://bit.ly/2016CMAConf <http://bit.ly/2016CMAConf>*