[cma-l] ever Community Radio Mast?

Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 17:12:35 GMT 2016

They do just that Alan – move closer to the exchange, that is.

Colocation (aka “proximity hosting”) is used by all the biggest high-speed traders and exchanges. The exchanges charge hefty fees to traders to host their servers in the same buildings and on the same backbones as the exchanges own servers, or authorize service providers to locate close by and rent out space.

It’s got to such a ridiculous state that some exchanges even have to specify a standard connecting cable length for the traders’ servers so that one a few feet further away from the connector can’t claim to have been disadvantaged by a few nanoseconds!

It’s a veritable arms race to the bottom, but at least there are no bullets flying.

Alex