[cma-l] FW: MiniDAB

Associated Broadcast Consultants info at a-bc.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 17:46:15 GMT 2016

Thanks for the clarification Alex!   Although technically possible, I
personally I doubt whether Ofcom would want to get into the complexities of
managing such things for small scale DAB!

I agree SSDAB seems great for small cities and large towns where a suitable
high site is available.   For small towns it starts to become wasteful of
spectrum - ie: are there sufficient community services in a small area to
fill the mux?  If not, then spectrum is wasted, and FM is more suitable
(and with some more creative planning approaches to avoid the "no
frequencies available mantra).

For big cities, the arbitrary 100w (now tending towards 200w) limit for
SSDAB is having the perverse impact of increasing costs.  In the case of
large cities there should be the option (with suitable safeguards) of more
power and less sites (ultimately just one) to minimise costs - just like
the incumbents.   But it will probably never happen for all the obvious
reasons!

Glyn

Glyn Roylance - Principal Consultant
Associated Broadcast Consultants <http://www.a-bc.co.uk/>