[cma-l] CMA radio sanctuary campaign suggestion

Caroline Mitchell caroline.mitchell at sunderland.ac.uk
Sun Jun 26 13:09:09 BST 2016

There have been worrying reports over the last couple of days about the rise in xenophobic and sometimes racist hate speech and behaviours towards citizens from minority ethnic communities, migrants (including 'temporary' migrants such as international students) and refugees.

 Can we in the community media community can do some kind of on air/social media campaign to show how community radio stations are a safe space for these groups? We have plenty of evidence through programmes and stations run by and for these communities over a long period of time but now I think it is time to shout out more about this.

What do CMA members think about this? Maybe there is already a campaign we can adapt? Any offers to help do or co-ordinate this?

Caroline Mitchell
Senior Lecturer in  Radio

Principal Investigator, Transnational Radio Encounters: Mediations of Nationality, Identity and Community
HERA funded project 2013-16 www.transnationalradio.org

David Puttnam Media Centre
St Peter's Campus, University of Sunderland
St Peter's Way
Sunderland
Tyne and Wear SR6ODD
+44 (0)191 515 3227