[cma-l] Studio output monitoring - speech recognition

roger at thornesonline.com roger at thornesonline.com
Tue Jun 7 15:44:14 BST 2016

For the last few months I've been patiently digitising some log
recordings of the RSLs that eventually led to Forest of Dean Radio
getting the first CR licence. Amongst the 70 odd VHS tapes that I've
had to play in real time were some real gems of the Forest dialect, in
particular a reading of the Harry Beddington poem "Thic Mon in White"
which begins:

Owld Jarge and I went out ver 'ood
Across the rocks by Abbot's 'ood.

'Twere gettin' on ver openin' time
When we come by thic owld iron mine.

We squat us down ta 'ave a pipe
And I rached out ta give Jarge a light.

Now, Jarge 'im is a clumsy zaul
'Im dropped my lighter down thic 'ole.

We clambered down and vetched un up
Twenty-vive steps, and that's a yup.

Not sure which old boy was reciting it, but he had an accent as thick
as the oak trees the Forest is famous for.

Happy days...