[cma-l] FW: Radio Link Transmission systems

Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 16:25:27 BST 2016

On 5 Jun 2016 08:41, Ian Hickling <transplanfm at hotmail.com <mailto:transplanfm at hotmail.com> > wrote:

Alan - thank you - but we do this all the time with professional-quality RF systems.
The point I was making - which seems to have eluded everyone - is that the phrase you used - "20cm patch antennas" - gives no indication as I said of the make, model, design, propagation characteristics or operating frequency of the system you are proposing - just the size and basic construction format.

We would describe the type of system we provide as "a 5,8 GHz two-way data link using IP-fed Ubiquity 40cm dishes"
Just a difference of philosophy maybe?

I took it that Alan was writing in the context of having already said it was a 5.8GHz system, in which case saying it’s a 20sm patch antenna is pretty much as informative as saying 'a 40cm dish'. He didn't tell us the brand,  but that wasn't really necessary in the context of a broad description of the system. Anyone familiar with the field would know a 20cm panel antenna at 5.8GHz would almost certainly be a nominal 14dBi without needing to know a brand or to look up a datasheet.

Incidentally,  saying it's a 40cm ubiquiti dish is barely any more informative, as without a model number it leaves out information on whether it's an integrated radio or separate,  and whether you're using plane polarisation, dual pol or AC, and what channel bandwidth, all of which dramatically affect throughout and reliability.

But as I said, I think Alan was just trying to give a general picture of the system, not a full tech specification!

Alex

---