[cma-l] Radio Link Transmission systems

Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Sat Jun 4 12:14:50 BST 2016

Just look up the datasheets for any of the antennas Ian - they give all the
usual polar patterns, gain figures, FB ratios etc as you would get for any
broadcast antenna. They're much what you expect - the panel antennas are in
simplest terms just a broadside phased array, just like you might construct
with conventional metalwork antennas.

As with the more familiar dipoles and Yagis they can be scaled and optimized
for gain, pattern and operating frequencies, but typically aren't used below
300MHz. Gains typically range over 0-24dBi, for higher gains dishes tend to
be more practical and better controlled patterns. Panels tend to have more
sidelobes and poorer front-back ratios than end fire arrays like Yagis or
dishes, but can be relatively easily screened at higher frequencies.

Eg for the Jaybeam 14dB 568000
<http://www.amphenol-antennas.com/getattachment/d407a33f-db8d-40cb-999a-f173
77f11410/Products/Antennas/Antenna-Accessories-(1)/Tri-Sector-TRIO-Accessori
es-(1)/GPS-Antenna-Mounts/5680000.aspx>  one we use on our STL:

For a typical 5.8GHz 21dBi w-fi panel: