[cma-l] Radio Link Transmission systems

Associated Broadcast Consultants info at a-bc.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 11:13:01 BST 2016

Yes Alex it is a very common requirement/demand of "experienced" presenters
- they are used to hearing their voice in the headphones processed.
Especially when talking over a music bed it helps them judge the levels
better - an unprocessed monitor would be likely to make them drop the fader
too much.  Even a fractional delay creates a weird "empty head" kind of
feeling for the presenter because of the phase difference between their
actual voice and the monitored voice in their headphones.   Trying to do it
with longer delays like those introduced by Barix encoders/decoders
(probably around 300ms) is virtually impossible without stumbling!

Many stations avoid the issue by using an old analogue (zero delay)
processor in the studio for monitoring purposes and keeping the presenters
happy.

I've never come across an amateur/CR presenter require off-air or processed
monitoring though.

I agree with Ian it's also it's good practice to have someone monitoring
off-air.  If not the presenter, then hopefully someone in reception or
back-office.

Glyn

<http://www.a-bc.co.uk/index.html>