[cma-l] VAT (was:Re: Joint PRS/PPL licences)

Phil Edmonds lists at philedmonds.info
Tue Jul 5 17:38:22 BST 2016

On 04/07/2016 14:05, Bill Best wrote:
> For stations that do not make charges to customers - for example,
> stations not carrying advertisements - then it appears that there is
> even more incentive to register for VAT.

The following is based on my own knowledge on VAT from looking into this
in the past (we're talking 10-15 years ago, but I don't think things
have changed that much) and of course I am not a qualified accountant.

In a nutshell VAT is a tax on the "end consumer". When you are a VAT
registered business you can offset the VAT you paid on goods and
services that you have used in the production of your product against
the VAT you charge to your customers for your goods or services, thus
moving the liability for the tax down the supply chain to the end user.

If you do not actually sell anything you are not eligible to be VAT
registered as in this case you are the "end consumer" and as such you
have to pay the VAT.

As for being VAT exempt as a charity, as other have said this is not
blanket and having spent the best part of a couple of decades buying
things acting for several charities I've certainly paid plenty of VAT!

"Talking newspapers" for the blind are exempt from VAT, and I recall
that back, probably in the early 1990s, if not before, the Hospital
Broadcasting Association run a campaign, with no success, to get their
member stations who are almost exclusively registered charities to gain
VAT exempt status as they provide a "similar" service as talking newspapers.

It's worth remembering that while Community Radio stations have to be
"not for profit", only a small number are registered charities. Hospital
radio stations normally have "health" related chartable objects.
Community Stations who are charities tend to have "education" related
objects. Just "doing radio" is not a charitable activity, but of course
"doing radio" can be "non profit" and provide "social gain" etc.

Phil.