[cma-l] PPL and PRSfM Joint Licence for Community Radio

Phil Edmonds lists at philedmonds.info
Tue Jul 5 18:11:42 BST 2016

I think I've said this before on this mailing list, but will say it
again, that a small percentage of commercial revenue as a royalty
payment is perfectly fine by me.

Sure some of it will end up in the pockets of the collection societies
executives and the mainstream record companies and artists. But some
will trickle to the smaller artists, for whom the odd fifty quid PRS
cheque is a godsend.

My bugbear is with minimum payments. On the couple of percent of
commercial revenue calculation a large proportion of community radio
stations are paying more as the minimum fee than the straight percentage
calculation.

As far as I'm concerned a few percent of advertising and sponsorship
revenue as royalties is a fine basis for royalty payments. It's the same
as the Commercial Radio station pay.

Now if only there was only a way as a sector to know how much
"Advertising and Sponsorship" revenue we all make in a year and then
offer to just pay royalties on the percentage of that.

Oh let's wait a second there is that pesky Excel spreadsheet we must
send to Ofcom every year - there's a box on there which declares how
much money we've made from Advertising and Sponsorship.

If we accept that "x percent" of commercial revenue is an acceptable
royalty payment, then surely a rate of "the last sector declared to
Ofcom advertising and sponsorship figure, plus inflation" divided by
"total number of stations" would be a fair sum to charge stations?

Maybe just add on a small sum to pay someone at the CMA to spend a day
collating the figures from the couple of hundred reports into a final
figure and all's sorted.

Phil.