[cma-l] Ujima Radio scoops its second major award within a year

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Wed Jan 6 15:12:02 GMT 2016

Bravo !            well done everyone

You see       onwards and upwards

Nick

  _____

From: cma-l-bounces at mailman.commedia.org.uk
[mailto:cma-l-bounces at mailman.commedia.org.uk] On Behalf Of CMA-L
Sent: 06 January 2016 13:26
To: cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Subject: [cma-l] Ujima Radio scoops its second major award within a year

Less than a year after the much loved community radio station was fighting
for its life, Ujima Radio has won a second prestigious award the 2015 MTM
award for best Community Group in the South West. This award follows hot on
the heels of receiving a National Diversity Award just a few months ago.

"It's an amazing achievement for all at Ujima Radio," said stations founder
Kevin Philemon. "It's our second major award in a month who would have
thought that less than a year ago we were fighting for our lives as we were
effectively forced to leave our original premises in St Paul's. Now we have
over 130 volunteers from a range of the most disadvantaged communities in
the city we are going from strength to strength in our new home at the
Creative Youth Network building in the very heart of Bristol It was
recognized by the awarding panel that Ujima Radio plays a positive role not
just with BME communities but with all groups facing disadvantage who do not
get their voices heard.

The Stations Broadcast manager Andrew Hartley aka DJ Styles added "This is
great recognition from one of the regions most prestigious awards and we
dedicate

this award to our volunteers supporters and presenters and of course our
loyal listeners who make us who we are. After seven long years of tough
living we are finally seeing national recognition for all our work and
efforts. Thank you".

Ujima Radio CIC broadcasts on 98FM across Bristol and online at
www.ujimaradio.com. The MTM Awards celebrated the excellence of the Asian &
Ethnic Minorities at one of the biggest gathering of businesses & community
achievers in the South West, MTM Awards 2015 held this year 20 December at
the Marriott Hotel in Bristol.

Notes:

1) MTM Awards was first launched in 2012 to honour Asian community in the
South West that has been in the region for over 60 years- playing a great
socio-economic role in the country. The MTM South West Asian Awards were
first held in December 2012 with over two hundred nominated for the 23
awards ranging from business to professional services, with 69 making it to
the final

2) The annual National Diversity Awards were held at Liverpool's Anglican
Cathedral in September and despite a field of over 10,000 nominations from
across the country, Ujima Radio CIC won the outstanding contribution to
diversity in the race, faith and religion category.

3) Ujima Radio CIC was founded in 2008 it broadcast on 98fm and online. It
exists to primarily celebrate African and Caribbean cultures in Bristol
through music and informative and educational talk content. It also provides
economic and community development opportunities for the most marginalised
communities in Bristol.

http://www.ujimaradio.com

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation