[cma-l] AM for CR

Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 11:43:35 GMT 2016

Sure enough, it’ quite funny, but I don’t see a big contradiction.

The public was sold DAB initially on a promise of “CD quality sound” (which of course was an unpunished act of wilful misrepresentation), and it is still sold on a promise of freedom from hissing, fading, crackling and other interference,  so it’s fair to assume that a good proportion of those buying DAB radios are factoring in expectations of high-quality interference-free sounds, and will rightly be satisfied by 80kbps mono MP2.

And it’s also apparent that there are quite a few people who have a nostalgic affection for AM sound ‘quality’, and even some for whom it actually provides the best reception option away from mainstream VHF coverage. Unfortunately, no broadcaster is going to be too keen to keep shelling out for expensive maintenance and electricity to keep such systems going for the few in return for no extra income. (In contrast to what has happened with the huge revival in vinyl records, where there is money to be made.)

It does occur to me thought that with the increased capacity on a national DAB+ multiplex, if there is unsold space maybe there is scope for an oldies station to provide an alternative service that has a simulcast of its main programme reprocessed into lo-fi AM soundalike, complete with 4.5kHz roll-off, fading and phasing, interference at night….

:)

Alex